- c.1520 - present (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
c.312 linear meters
Name of creator
The Library was founded within a few years of the launch of the Society. It has been consistently increased by purchase, gift and bequest, notably from the library of the Reverend David Royce at his bequest in 1902, from which many of the antiquarian volumes were acquired. The Library has had several homes since its creation, and in 1998 moved from Gloucester Library to the University of Gloucestershire, who act as custodians of the Library.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
The Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (BGAS) was founded in 1876 and has over 800 members. The Society exists to encourage and promote the historical and archaeological study of the Bristol and Gloucestershire area, and to produce regular academic publications. These include the Society's Transactions, published annually since 1876, and the Gloucestershire Record Series. The Society also organises an extensive programme of lectures, events and field meetings each year.
Those wishing to find out more about the Society and its activities should refer to the Society's own website http://www.bgas.org.uk
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The Library is physically divided into two halves, serial and general publications, and county or country based material. There is material about most counties in England as well as on Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Subjects covered include history, archaeology, architecture, local studies, records, law, education, religion, cults and mythology, arts and crafts, coinage, industry and transport, genealogy and heraldry. The Society mainly concentrates on collecting material relating to Gloucestershire and its adjoining Counties (Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Somerset and Monmouthshire).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Library is open to BGAS Library members and staff and students at the University of Gloucestershire, who can borrow material with a valid library card. The library is also open to the general public for reference only purposes. We recommend making an appointment with archive staff in the first instance.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
BGAS Library material is available to search on the University's Library Catalogue. The catalogue can be searched via https://glos.on.worldcat.org/discovery
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
The Society's Archive Collection is housed at Gloucestershire Archives and is available for consultation by the public. Holdings include:
- the Society's own administrative records from its foundation in 1876 to 2004, including rules, committee minutes, accounts and financial records, correspondence, circulars, field meetings, lectures and other administrative papers (mainly archive reference D7996)
- records of the Committee for Archaeology in Gloucestershire
- a major donation by the Reverend David Royce of antiquarian papers which include court rolls and manor court books from the sixteenth century onwards, deeds, various family records including Royce's own, and notes and transcriptions on various Cotswold parishes (archive reference D1375)
- other antiquarian collections from as early as the twelfth century, including notes, transcriptions, manuscripts, family history, parish history and plans on various Gloucestershire locations
For details of the above material, search the Gloucestershire Archives online catalogue http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D7996&pos=26