Showing 9825 results

Archival description
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

311 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Whittington Press Special Collection

  • WP
  • Collection
  • 1972 – present

The Whittington Press was founded by John and Rose Randle in 1971 at Whittington Court near Cheltenham. The Press continues to produce hand-made books by letterpress, often incorporating text and wood engravings. Material is comprised of monographs, the Matrix journal [we are the only HEI in the UK to hold a full set], documents, posters, Christmas cards and photographs

University of Gloucestershire

U A Fanthorpe Archive

  • UAF
  • Collection
  • [1879-1880] 1976 – present

The personal archive of poet U A Fanthorpe CBE (1929-2009), a Gloucestershire-based poet. The collection encompasses extensive correspondence and draft poetry and is an example of the creative processes writers undertake from idea to composition to finished piece. The collection is comprised of paper-based documents and new accessions are occasionally received from U A’s partner Rosie Bailey

Fanthorpe, U A

University of Gloucestershire Archive

  • UA
  • Collection
  • [1683] 1827 - present

The origins of Cheltenham Training College grew from the reformation of the education system in England during the nineteenth century. The National Society for Promoting Religious Education was established in 1811 with the aim of providing a school in every parish that would teach the poor guided by the principles of the established church. These would be financed through voluntary subscriptions. Another movement, The British and Foreign School Society, was established in 1808 although was non-conformist. Schools established by either movement were known as “National” or “British” respectively, and both were operating before the introduction of state-co-ordinated schooling by The Forster Act of 1870. Prior to this date the government had provided school-building grants to both societies and had instigated school inspections.

Due to the growing need to supply trained teachers, The National Society collaborated with a number of individual dioceses to establish several training colleges between 1839 – 1840. This coincided with the introduction of the pupil-teacher system, where the state supported good school pupils to continue in the role from age 13 to 18. Queen’s Scholarships were introduced for those pupil-teachers passing the training college entrance examinations, with the state funding their places at college.
In Cheltenham, the Evangelical clergyman Reverend Francis Close had been appointed to the parish of St Mary’s (now Cheltenham Minster) in 1826. He had an interest in infant education and helped to found several National Schools in the town. At the same time, Dartmouth merchant and Evangelical businessman Samuel Codner had set up 43 schools in Newfoundland. Whilst staying in Cheltenham during August 1845 he wrote to Close advocating the establishment of a National teacher-training college in Cheltenham. The suggestion was pursued by Close and at a meeting of likeminded individuals on 23 September 1845 the decision was taken to open a college, under the guise of the Church of England Training School Association. The new Cheltenham Training College was eligible for both building and maintenance state grants, along with receiving voluntary subscriptions. The college opened a male department on 1 June 1847 and female department on 2 July 1847, both in separate rented accommodation in the town. Reverend C H Bromby became the first Principal. There were 200 Life Governors, comprised of 100 clerical and 100 lay. All governors paid a small subscription and were expected to recruit students for the college. The foundation trust document of 1848 states “that the religious education to be conveyed shall always be strictly Scriptural, Evangelical and Protestant and in strict accordance with the Articles and Liturgy of the Church of England”.

The executive committee set about planning the main college building for the male department, there being more male applicants to college, with the female department occupying the recently vacated hospital (now Normandy House on the Lower High Street). They received the donation of six acres of land and £500 from local resident Miss Jane Cook, along with other donations and the government grants. The new building was designed by Samuel Daukes to house 100 students and opened on 8 April 1850, costing £11,700 (now Francis Close Hall). It became the largest training college in the country.

The female department gained their own purpose-built accommodation in 1869 with the opening of Shaftesbury Hall (now Chelsea Square apartments), mainly funded by the proceeds of the closure of the Metropolitan Training College at Highbury. By 1897 the college year had moved from two terms starting in January each year to the more familiar three-term system beginning in September. In 1906 the Board of Education sanctioned the use of the names “St Paul’s College” and “St Mary’s Hall”, which had been unofficially used for the male and female departments since the 1880s. However the official titles of “St Paul’s College” and “St Mary’s College” were not introduced until 1921 when Cheltenham Training College split, still retaining the same governing body and sharing facilities. Both colleges continued to grow, with St Mary’s purchasing The Park site in 1930 (now the University’s Park Campus). In 1947 the colleges joined the University of Bristol’s Institute of Education.

In 1979 the colleges merged once more to form the College of St Paul and St Mary, and in 1990 this merged with the higher education strand of the Gloucestershire College of Arts and Technology (GLOSCAT) to form the Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education (CGCHE). The GLOSCAT merger brought with it Pittville Campus, which had been purchased by Gloucestershire College of Art in 1961, and Oxstalls Campus in Gloucester. In 1992 CGCHE was given permission to award its own undergraduate and taught postgraduate degrees, followed by research degrees in 1998. On 23 October 2001 the college was awarded university status, becoming the University of Gloucestershire. The re-designed Oxstalls campus opened in 2002.

Cheltenham Training College

Chiltern Sculpture Trail

Photographs showing sculptures at Chiltern Sculpture Trail. Photographer unknown

The Chiltern Sculpture Trail leaflet

Chiltern Sculpture Trail leaflet 2005 - 2006

Chiltern Sculpture Trail Open Day leaflet and information 28 August 2006

Westonbirt Arboretum

Printed email exchange regarding "Homage" by Reckless Orchard Landscape Consultants

Guide to Westonbirt International Festival of Gardens 2003

"Daring to be different" newspaper article by Caroline Donald regarding gardens on show at Westonbirt. Published in "The Sunday Times" 15 June 2003

The National Forest

Printout of "Landshapes: Heritage in the Making" including details on The Needwood and South Derbyshire Noon Column; The Trent Valley Noon Column; The Mease and Sence Noon Column; Melbourne Parklands Noon Column; The Leicestershire and South Derbyshire Noon Column; Charnwood Noon Column

River Eden

"Eden Benchmarks: a sculpture collection for the riven eden commissioned by east cumbria countryside project and the people of the eden valley" leaflet

Kielder Forest

10x postcards showing sculptures at Kielder

Postcard showing "Minotaur" sculpture by Nick Coombe and Shona Kitchen

"Minotaur: Nick Coombe & Shona Kitchen" leaflet

"The Kielder Skyspace by James Turrell" leaflet

Newspaper article "Round the ragged rocks" by Jonathan Glancey. Published in "The Guardian" 21 July 2003

"Art and Architecture at Kielder: new projects" booklet

"Art and Architecture at Kielder 2004 - 2006" booklet

Herring Island Environmental Sculpture Park, Melbourne

Herring Island Environmental Sculpture Park leaflet

Photocopy of newspaper article "Sculpture nurtures a natural talent" by Rebecca Lancashire. Features a picture of the British sculptor Andy Goldsworthy

Photocopy of newspaper article "Melbourne punts on an island full of sculptures" by Rebecca Lancashire. Published in "The Age"

Photocopy of newspaper article "Do the Melbourne Festival for free" by Michael Harden

Grizedale, Cumbria

Photocopy of article "Grizedale: A Sense of Place" by Peter Davies. Published in "Landscape Design" December 1987

Newspaper article "Grizedale Forest Sculpture Park, Cumbria" published in "The Independent" 22 August 1989

Book "The Grizedale Experience: Sculpture, Arts & Theatre in a Lakeland Forest" edited by Bill Grant and Paul Harris

Postcards featuring images of works by various artists in residence 1999

"The Riding Wood Trail" leaflet

Grizedale Forest Sculpture Guide Map

Cumbria's Museums 1994 leaflet

General

File containing information on Forestry Commission; Public Art on the Black Country Route; Andy Goldsworthy; Chiltern Sculpture Trail; River Eden; North Pennines walks and activities; Goodwood; Grizedale; The Hebden Bridge Sculpture Trail; Irwell Sculpture Trail; The Jerwood Sculpture Park at Witley Court; Kielder Forest; Tyrebagger Sculpture Project; Kincardine; Denlethen Wood; The Henry Moore Foundation; Drechtbanks Sculpture Park; Toolangi State Forest Sculpture Exhibition

Reveal

File containing context and background; health and safety information; risk assessments; meetings documents; briefing notes for staff and volunteers; insurance; artists' residency contracts; Project Director's report; Arts Council England funding information; press release and media clippings; map of the installation

CDs containing images and documents

Lightshift

Includes leaflets, correspondence, meeting documents, photographs, VHS recordings of Lightshift, details of the "Lightshift II" project; recordings of the Forest of Dean Radio "Lightshift Seminar" 25 October c.2001; DVD with "Lightshift documentation"; DVDs with images and Powerpoint; CDs with video clips of the sculptures plus audio used for the installations

VHS and DVDs

Includes Ron Boyd "Sculpture in the Forest" 1988; "Straight from the Wood" broadcast on Central 24 July 1989; "Year of the Artist: From the Forest" broadcast on HTV West 18 November 2001; "Charge of the light brigade"

Images

1x lever arch file website image index. Includes lists of images with copyright information
1x lever arch file "Images 2: Artists J-Z". Includes slides and lists of images
1x lever arch file "Images 3: Lightshift; Diversity/ Spray + Tan; Workshops; Forest History; Forest General". Includes lists of images with copyright information, photographs and slides
1x file "Image loans"
1x bundle of negatives, slides and prints of various sculptures
1x box of slides labelled "Bruce Allen"
1x box of slides showing an exhibition
4x CDs with images of sculptures

Results 1 to 50 of 9825