Primary contactDelta Place 27 Bath Road Cheltenham
GB GL53 7TH
The University of Gloucestershire has had several predecessor colleges, but the main lineage of the Special Collections can be traced from the foundation of the Cheltenham Training College in 1847. Successive colleges have kept and maintained an institutional archive which today forms the University Archive.
In 1987 the Manpower Services Commission ran a project to sort and catalogue the University Archive, and in 1999 full-time archive staff were appointed for the first time. The 1990s also saw the founding of two of our special collections, the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Library (in 1998) and the Dymock Poets Archive and Study Centre (now the Dymock Poets Special Collection, in 1995).